Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Why Nutritarian? (Or How Cigar Smoking Changed My Life)

In the Beginning
I enjoy food.  I enjoy feeling good. I enjoy an occasional cigar.  As I approached my 47th Birthday, I had a doctor's appointment.  My weight was higher than it had ever been.  My numbers were not alarming, but they were far from ideal.  The one thing that was a little concerning was my cholesterol. My doctor explained I had a few options.  Medication was one, lifestyle change was another.  I said I liked the lifestyle one, and he told me to read some book.



A year later, I came back.  My weight had not gone up...nor had it gone down.  My "lifestyle change" had managed to keep me completely status quo - which to me was at least a small moral victory.  Better than my weight going up or my numbers getting worse.

He explained that my numbers were not horrible, but he asked if I still smoked an occasional cigar.  If we consider you to be a smoker, your risk of a heart attack is 10 times higher than if you were a non-smoker.  Did I mention I enjoy an occasional cigar? With meds, we could get your cholesterol down, and THAT would also drastically reduce risk of heart disease.  

Hmm... I don't really think medicine you have to take everyday for the rest of your life is a good thing.  I asked him if there was some other alternative...like maybe a lifestyle change?

To his credit he did not laugh at me and remind me how that decision got us back to this same spot in the first place.  He played along.  Have you read that book?  THIS time I actually wrote the title down and told him I would.  OK, see me in 3 months and we will talk about how it's going.  That afternoon I ordered my copy of Eat to Live, by Dr. Joel Fuhrman and when it arrived I read it.  It made sense.

Nutritarian Eating 
The following is a VERY brief overview - my synopsis of Nutritarian eating.  If you choose to eat this way, please do yourself a favor and buy that book and read it.  It is a tool that can help you understand nutrition and what is going into your body.   Do not simply base your eating style on my synopsis.

Nutritarian eating is simply eating as much nutrient dense food as possible - and as little empty calories as possible.  The goal is to get 90% of your calories from natural plant based foods (fruit veggies, nuts, seeds, beans), and only 10% from elsewhere (meat, dairy, oils, refined carbs, etc.).  The typical American Diet is just the opposite - 90% of calories coming from low nutrient/empty sources.



The daily "recipe" suggested in the book is eat at least :

  • 1 pound of raw veggies, 
  • 1 pound of cooked veggies, 
  • 3 fruit servings, and 
  • 1 cup of beans.  
In addition, a starchy vegetable (corn, potatoes) or healthy whole grain can be added in daily as well as 1/4 cup of nuts or seeds.  NOTE:  That is A LOT of food.

I was a complete carnivore prior to this, but I decided I would give it a try.  I assumed I would probably just add in a little bit of meat at dinner daily.  But after a few days of trying it meat-free, I was amazed at how easy it was and how little I missed meat.  In fact, after a week, I was really looking forward to a burger at a barbecue I was attending - and it was actually the least appealing thing I ate that day.

I still eat eggs and meat, and tend to really enjoy it.  I just eat much smaller portions than in the past, and it is common for me to go 3-4 days at a time eating only plant based foods.

Keep in mind, this is NOT a weight loss diet.  This is a way of fueling your body as efficiently as you can.  Weight loss is a side effect of healthy eating.  Your body will find its ideal weight over time.  In my case, my ideal weight is 30-50 pounds lower than what it has been for the past 5-10 years.  My body is moving towards that.

Independence Day
I began this lifestyle on July 5, 2015 and had my first check-up a few months later. In 12 weeks I had lost 35 pounds.  My doctor actually thanked me for starting his day off on a bright note.    

I am continuing to eat in this manner and continuing to lose 1-2 pounds weekly.  In a few months I will have my blood work done to see how it is working.

One Meal at a Time
I eat like this whenever I can.  I do not dwell on it.  Every healthy meal I eat is one less meal that will be filled with processed foods and edible garbage.  When I choose something else, it is a choice, just like smoking a cigar or drinking a beer is a choice.  It is a choice I make, knowing that I should not do it all the time, but in moderation I can do it and enjoy it.  I know that this is an exception to how I normally eat.  It's not cheating.  









4 comments:

  1. "Weight loss is a side effect of healthy eating..." - This is such an important fact! So true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting such an informative blog! Yes, of course healthy diet plan play vital role in our life. I really love the way information is presented in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cigars smoking is very popular among people. Mostly the cigars recommended to beginners are mild and mild-to-medium. Such cigars are easily available in market. They are also available in plenty of flavors.

    ReplyDelete